Happy Anniversary! It has been one year since I de-shouldered myself. Yeah… still boney and it aches a bit once in a while but there are more important things to rant and rave about.
People running for President! Damn, it’s been a while since I ranted on anything politically correct or incorrect. Let’s take a whack at this recent happening at the Iowa debates.
Michele Bachmann was asked If she would be a submissive wife if she became president. The audience booed. How sexist! No male candidate would ever be asked such a question! But hang on a second, let’s find out what was going on.
It seems that in a speech she gave in 2006 when she was running for Congress Bachmann told a church in Brooklyn Park, Minn., that she hated taxes, but went on to study tax law in order to be “submissive” to her husband. “My husband said, now you need to go and get a post-doctorate degree in tax law. Tax law, I hate taxes. Why should I go and do something like that? But the Lord says, ‘Be submissive.’ Wives, you are to be submissive to your husbands,” Bachmann told the crowd at the Living Word Christian Center. “Never had a tax course in my background, never had a desire for it, but by faith, I was going to be faithful to what I thought God was calling me to do through my husband, and I finished that course of that study.”
Excellent. So, she did open this can of worms. Is it fair to ask such a question of her? Hell yes. What we need now is to get a straight answer. I highly doubt that with her hectic busy schedule of running for President she has time to oil up and slide into a latex outfit while her husband breaks out the collar and chain. I don’t think THAT is the submissive she is talking about. Well, maybe.
But the question CAN be asked of HER because:
1. She made the statement in 2006, this opens it up for discussion.
2. If being submissive makes her rely on her husband for vital decision making, do we want her as President? How qualified is the husband to lead her and the rest of us? (and if he does, is it by a leash while she’s oiled and wearing latex?)
3. She’s been all 1 man 1 woman in the marriage department. Along with Rick (don’t you just want to punch this guy in the face) Santorum, she signed “The Marriage Vow.”
4. Leaning to the far, far right and playing to the religious/anti gay fanatics… don’t the rest of us have the right to know just exactly what she means? Turning it around to say being submissive means “we respect each other” is a lame-0 response. That’s like saying I ate an entire plate of healthy food when in reality I just took a big hit off the bottle of hershey’s syrup – and then topped it off with a shot of whipped cream right out of the can.
5. Grow a pair. You are running for President.
Sunday 8.14.11 Update…
Bachmann wins the Iowa Straw poll. I watched her on Meet The Press earlier this morning. Once again, we have a champion in someone who can’t seem to give a direct answer to a fairly direct question. David Gregory asked her about whether or not she would have an atheist or a gay in her cabinet. She has made statements against people in these groups in the past. Her response today was that they would have to know the constitution, be competent and agree with her game plan. In other words, the ones she did not use – No. She’s 55, married for almost 33 years has children, has had a zillion foster children, has run a business, is faithful and is fighting at the “tip of the spear” for you. If you did not get a chance to hear all about her, I’m pretty sure you will have an opportunity to hear all of this again and again – instead of hearing exactly what it is she could or will do as President.